“You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ died for the ungodly. Very rarely will anyone die for a righteous person, though for a good person someone might possibly dare to die. But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Since we have now been justified by his
blood, how much more shall we be saved from God’s wrath through him! For if, while we were
God’s enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much
more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Not only is this so, but
we also boast in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now
received reconciliation.” (Romans 5:6-11)
How many of us got saved physically? I was not in any
dangerous situation except two circumstances: I carefully walked when getting
out of the car because of the edge of the cliff when my family and I went to one
of the Korean churches, and I quickly opened all windows when I accidentally
cooked instant noodles in a microwave because of the much smoke. These come from basic and common
knowledge. Another situation that could
have been dangerous was that when I was young, I was playing on the road, even
while a car was trying to go somewhere, and my father quickly grabbed me and told
me to go to the family because the car was trying to get out.
The theological definition of salvation is deliverance from sin and eternal consequences by God’s redemptive work through Jesus Christ. Sin has been originated from Adam’s disobedience in the Garden of Eden, and his consequence was separation from God (Genesis 3:1-23). As the Hebrew term for ‘Adam’ is humankind, we naturally followed in his footsteps, even without us knowing. Due to this, the second ‘Adam,’ Jesus Christ came down to the earth and sacrificed Himself for our sins. The reason that only He could be sacrificed for us was that He was entirely both God and human (Romans 5:12-21). As sin separates us from God and we have tendency to follow our desires, instead of God’s, we cannot ever done with sin, regardless of how many sacrifices we make, as our desires naturally creep back in. In ancient time, high priests could offer specific sacrifices in specific ways to take their sins and sins of the many once a year (Leviticus 16:1-34). However, sins could creep back in and high priests have to wait once a year to cleanse them. This repetition shows that people are inadequate to be done with sin once for all. Therefore, Jesus became human to take sins of the whole world away once for all. Although He was tempted, He could not ever sin because He was entirely God (Hebrews 2:14-18). Overall, Jesus Christ has been our Lord and Saviour since AD 33 or approximately 2000 years ago, until forever (Romans 3:21-26).
Meditate on 1 Corinthians 15:1-58, and ask yourself this question: “Have I received salvation in Christ but have not been doing anything about it? How can I devote myself to God through faith in Christ?”
No comments:
Post a Comment